A. Preparations before starting
(1) Check all components and systems to see whether they are in proper order. Check the accessories to see whether they are firmly and reliably connected. Eliminate any abnormality.
(2) Check the cooling system and fulfill cooling water.
(3) Fill the oil sump until the required oil level is reached.
(4) Check the fuel tank to see whether it’s enough.
(5) Check all electrical wiring connections of starting system to see whether they are correctly and firmly connected. Check the batteries to see whether it fully charged.
(6) Feed fuel into the fuel system with hand pump on the fuel feed pump and at the same time loose the vent screw on the injection pump or the vent plug on the fuel filter to bleed air in the fuel system. When no bubble is found in the fuel flowing out of the vent screw or plug, tighten the vent screw or plug. Thereafter, continue to pump fuel until it spills into the overflow pipe, and then lock the hand pump.
(7) For a new engine or an engine not used for over five days, turn the crankshaft for 3-5 revolutions before starting the engine.
(8) For the stand–by engine, it is recommended to start and run it once every 3-5days until its water and oil temperature exceed 60℃, so that when necessary, the engine can be put into operation promptly.
After preparations, pressing “ON” button can start the engine under ordinary ambient temperature. If fail at first time, it can’t be started again until the motor stops spinning. To protect the starting motor, the engine should be started within 5 seconds. If not, wait at least 2 minutes before starting the engine again.
At the beginning, let the engine run at a speed of 600-750r/min for a while, and inspect the readings of the gauges, especially the oil pressure gauge. If the oil pressure is never higher than 150Kpa, the engine should be stopped and checked and started again after repairing. In order to protect the bearings of turbochargers from burning-out, the speed of the engine can’t be increased until the oil pressure raises, especially for those have replaced lubricating oil, oil filter or been closing down for 5 days. Loosen the connecting parts of oil intake pipe till some oil outflows, then increase the speed and load several minutes later.